Thursday, April 23, 2009

On a serious note...

This developing story is tragic.  An 11 year old boy recently committed suicide because he was constantly bullied by kids at school for allegedly being gay.  An 11 year old

When I was that age, yes, I was bullied and called horrible names by kids I went to school with... It's a tragedy of our culture that the go-to name for making fun of kids who are different is "gay." I remember days when I would pray for indoor recess so that I didn't have to go out to the playground and face the older kids for fear that they would taunt and tease me...  It was quite a sad way to grow up, but I now know that it made me stronger and helped to build me into the person I am today.

That being said, it makes me so SO sad that some young children just can't escape the pain and discouragement that being bullied brings them...  

Also, I still find it shocking that, when a young boy is bullied, the antagonists often jump right to the conclusion that he is "gay" or "a fag."  Not only that, but what 11 year olds really comprehend the notion of sexuality, anyways?  I find it hard to believe that kids who don't understand long division can have such a complex ideological stereotypes against kids that they find different...

That's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment